Wage Garnishment Lawyer in Oklahoma City
Need a Bankruptcy Lawyer? Call today! 30+ Years Experience
Are you concerned that your paycheck will be garnished by creditors? Already dealing with wage garnishment? Call Alexander Hilton & Associates, an Oklahoma Bankruptcy Attorney skilled in stopping wage garnishments Since 1990.
What Is Wage Garnishment?
Wage garnishment results when a creditor sues you and obtains a judgement in state court. The court then orders your employer to deduct 25% of your paycheck and mail it to your judgement creditor until the debt is repaid. Garnishments most commonly arise with unpaid Credit card accounts, auto repossessions, medical debts and delinquent student loans.
Can a Wage Garnishment Be Stopped?
Wage garnishments can be stopped through two options:
- 1) Pay the debt in full with interest and attorney fees.
- 2) File bankruptcy. You may file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
What About Debt Settlement?
- Costs more than bankruptcy
- You must pay tax on all settled debts which are classified as “income” (not so with debts discharged in bankruptcy).
- Debt settlement can take years. Bankruptcy discharge is normally issued in 90 days.
- Most people who opt for debt settlement are advised to stop paying their creditors and then get sued anyway. They are then forced to file bankruptcy after paying excessive fees to non-attorneys while their credit standing has been damaged for an extended period.
The most effective and immediate option is filing for bankruptcy. However, it is crucial to discuss to discuss your case with a knowledgeable, experienced Bankruptcy Lawyer in Oklahoma.
When you do file for bankruptcy, an automatic stay is ordered by the United States Bankruptcy Court. This injunction orders all creditors and debt collectors to stop collection immediately, including wage garnishments.
Call to Talk with an Oklahoma City Wage Garnishment Lawyer
Wage garnishments can be scary and overwhelming. You do not have to navigate this alone and you should get legal help. Alexander Hilton & Associates has the expertise to protect your hard-earned wages. We look forward to providing the legal guidance you need.